Use the Pareto Principle to master timemanagement at work

Standard

Whether you work in an office or work from home, you might find yourself in a situation where you ask yourself where all your time went. The arms of the clock says five o’clock, but your ‘to-do list’ is still full and the stack of ‘urgent’ stuff that needs your attention is still there. Instead of asking yourself ‘what happened?’ or, worse, ‘why?’ you might want to focus on ‘how’ it happened. By focusing on how you do your work, you might find patterns that, with a little tweaking and adjustment, might produce much better results at the end of the day. You need to do this because the stakes are high. If you have low productivity, chances are the probability of you earning more will be quite slim. After all, how much you earn is generally a reflection of the quality of your work and your work productivity. No employer will pay someone an amount higher than the amount of the value of that person’s work product. That’s the bottom line So if you want to earn more money or keep your job, you need to boost your productivity. You can start by applying the Pareto Principle to your timemanagement efforts.

Using the Pareto Principle to focus on the important stuff

Your first step should be to list down all your daily tasks. List them all out. Don’t forget any item. Next, rank them in terms of how much money they put in your pocket or can potentially put in your pocket. You will quickly discover that only 20 percent of the stuff you do on a day to day basis produce around 80 percent of your income. Quickly get over your shock over this discovery and start prioritizing the 20 percent. What about the other 80 percent? Rank them and the ones that have a stronger impact on your bottom line should be given some time in your daily to-do lists. The rest can be delegated, outsourced, or postponed. What is crucial is that you focus as much of your time on the stuff that puts food on the table. This is effective timemanagement-devoting valuable time resources to the tasks that produces the best returns. After all, life is all about ROI or return on investment. You need a solid return for the investment of your time. Time is your most valuable asset since it will be gone forever once it passes. You can either let time pass doing stuff that doesn’t really impact your life much or you can invest your time in the things that truly move your career forward. Your choice.

Keep at it

Applying the Pareto Principle to your daily tasks might be disconcerting at first, but you need to keep at it. Soon, you’ll notice that this approach to timemanagement will become second nature to you. You will want to quickly zero in on the bottom line and stop beating around the bush. You will soon develop an ROI frame of mind. And your career, as well as your life, will reflect the positive changes and rewards that you have previously found so hard to attain.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s